Welcome to the Gillingham Imperial Silver Band website. We are a friendly brass band located in the south west of England, and we are currently graded nationally in the 3rd section. Please check out our vacancies page as we are currently looking for various players.
A date for your diaries!!!
On Saturday 18th April 2015 the band will be welcoming International Euphonium Soloist Glyn Williams to Dorset. Glyn and his wife Helen, both principal players with the World famous Foden's Band, will be leading an afternoon of workshops and featuring as soloists in an evening concert. Both events will take place at The Exchange in Sturminster Newton. The workshops will be open to members of all local brass bands but spaces are limited so please contact us soon to secure your place! More details to follow in the New Year.
Over £2,000 raised for the poppy appeal!
Gillingham's annual Poppy concert this year featured a return for GISB alongside the Pipes and Drums of the Wessex Highlanders. Much hard work and organisation from the Gillingham branch of the Royal British Legion saw a packed hall enjoy a wonderful evening's music from the band and the Highlanders.
GISB's programme featured a wide range of music, from Jacob Vilhelm Larsen's spectacular "Ad Astra", to the oriental flavour of Gareth Wood's beautiful "Japanese Slumber Song". The oriental theme was picked again later with Peter Graham's "With Fire and Sword", and the evening's featured soloist was principal trombone Nathan Biss playing Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Sun Whose Rays". Following many old favourites from the pipers, the evening would not have been complete without the hair-raising sound of the band and the pipers playing together; "The Rose of Kelvingrove", the evocative "Carlingford Lough" and of course the encore "Highland Cathedral" which saw the bands end the evening to a standing ovation.
Many thanks to all involved - Gillingham RBL, Gillingham School, GISB's guest players and Gillingham RBL Club for providing delicious teas and sandwiches in the afternoon.
This year the band have a busy schedule over the festive season. Here's where you can catch us:
- 16th Nov - "The Magic of Christmas" - Craft Fair at Riversmeet Leisure Centre, Gillingham. 10am - Midday
- 27th Nov - "Light up a life" - Weldmar Hospice service - Orchard Park, Gillingham. 6:30pm
- 29th Nov - Wessex BBA Winter Contest - Life Centre, Bournemouth.
- 5th Dec - Gillingham festive lighting parade - Gillingham Town Centre. 6:30pm
- 6th Dec - Coffee and Carols and the Bandroom. 10am
- 6th Dec - "Tis the Season" - Tisbury Christmas Event.
- 10th Dec - Motcombe WI Christmas Dinner, The Coppleridge.
- 13th Dec - ASDA Gillingham. 10am - 1pm
- 14th Dec - Annual Christmas Concert - Gillingham School Hall. 3pm.
- 20th Dec - ASDA Gillingham. 10am - 1pm
- 21st Dec - The Coppleridge Hotel, Motcombe.
- 24th Dec - The Walnut Tree Inn, Mere
Please come and support us over Christmas and enjoy some wonderful music!